Professional DevelopmentLive Workshops for Professionals
The Excellent ClassroomTeaching with Neurobiology in Mind
The Excellent Classroom
Full-Day PD Workshop for Teachers
This cutting-edge workshop will bring the latest neuroscience and psychology into your teaching approach to assist you in facilitating a more effective learning environment for your students and to bring the joy back into your career!
In this workshop we will provide answers on topics such as…
- Empowering students: Strategies to engage and motivate students, shifting ownership and responsibility of learning from the teacher to the student.
- ‘I won’t and you can’t make me’: Who’s manipulating whom? Evaluating student behaviours from a neuroscience perspective, effective boundaries, positive discipline techniques, and strategies to restore calm in volatile situations.
- Sticks and Stones: Resilience strategies for bullied students and greater awareness for perpetrators from a neuroscience perspective.
- Every classroom is a kaleidoscope: Dealing with the many emotional needs of students including the stressed and anxious, the academically challenged, multicultural diversities, the loner, the perfectionist, and those who crave attention.
- Dreaded parent–teacher interviews: Understanding and successfully managing parents who are antagonistic and hostile, critical, overprotective, and demanding.
- Homework battles and learning barriers: Student motivation, fostering positive learning attitudes, the neuroscience behind memory, and blocks to effective learning.
- Standardised Testing: Strategies to overcome anxiety and improve test scores.
- Practical strategies: Maintaining optimum teaching ability, enjoyment in the classroom, and promoting student well-being.
- We cater our PD day on a school-by-school basis – contact us for more details.
- Minimum number of participants for our PD day is 10.
Pricing & What We Offer
- Minimum 10 people – $150/person
- 11-20 people – $120/person
- 21-30 people – $100/person
- 31-40+ people – $80/person
The PD day includes:
- Full day PD teaching (8.30am – 3.30pm – or more suitable time negotiated by school and presenters)
- Two specialised presenters (Matthew & Karen)
- Morning and afternoon tea if requested
- Workshop materials, session notes and extras
To keep costs at a minimum we ask you to provide:
- The space to hold as many of your staff as you anticipate will be attending
- Overhead projector and screen that we can utilise for our power point presentations
Contact us for more information
Presenter Karen Ferry has over 30 years of teaching experience in primary and secondary classrooms. She is a Master of Counselling candidate at the University of Queensland with a foundation in neuropsychotherapy. Her passion is for the classroom to be not only an effective learning environment but a place where teachers and students have fun and thrive to their fullest potential.
Presenter Matthew Dahlitz is a psychotherapist in private practice. He is editor of a number of publications focusing on a brain-based understanding of human behaviour and a specialist on neuroscience-informed therapy. Matthew has a passion to see the school environment become as nurturing and safe as possible in order to produce a strong, creative, and well-adjusted generation.
The day will be broken up into 4 sections:
Brain Science For the Classroom
- Why do teachers need to know brain science?
- Brains in the classroom
- The basic psychological needs
The Social Brain
- Wired to connect
- The power of tribe
- The secret of influence
- Stress defined and the neurochemical process
- Thresholds of tolerance
- Effectively modulating stress
Attunement: Powerful Connection
- Connecting right-brain to right-brain
- Issues of the heart
- You are an attachment figure!